What Can Happen When an Adolescent is Detained

Wednesday, May 27th, 2015

The adolescence phase for many individuals, is a time of growing and changing in one’s life. A young mind takes learning and experience to figure out the right direction to take when it comes to making decisions. When teenagers make mistakes that result in breaking the law, the consequences can be life-changing and make the road for a bright future difficult. That’s why when it comes to the court of law, criminal juveniles are at an advantage when a lawyer is hired to defend their case. A highly-skilled and experienced lawyer can protect the rights of the juvenile and help the charges of his or her case becomes reduced or dropped.


Protecting the Rights of a Minor

As a juvenile criminal lawyer that has handled over hundreds of cases throughout the New Jersey area, I have assisted many young adults with achieving a less harsh outcome regarding their misdemeanor. If you are a juvenile that has been charged with a criminal offense, I can represent your case so that the best possible outcome can be achieved. Some of the sentences I can help you avoid include detention at a state facility, mandatory counseling, being charged as an adult and more. I feel that the future of young individuals is important and that they deserve a second chance at making things right.


How Police Handle Juvenile Violations

A good aspect to be aware of is how juveniles are dealt with by police. Whether the minor is referred by parents or school officials to the police, or arrested, there are a number of ways that law enforcement can handle a criminal statute. Depending on the alleged violation, the police officer will decide how the offense should be dealt with. This factor can be used in the argument of the juvenile’s defense in his or her favor.


For example, if the officer arrests the minor and does not state the Miranda warning, then whatever words were said by the minor cannot be used against him or her in the court of law. If the police officer detains the minor and does not allow him or her to call their parents or another guardian, it can be considered a denial of civil rights, making it viable in the minor’s defense. So, when police are dealing with the violation of a minor, what can happen?


The Choice of Law Enforcement

One option police officers have when dealing with a minor is to issue a warning. The minor can be detained, issued a warning, and then let go. Another option is to detain the minor until a parent comes to take custody of their child. If the officer arrests the minor, he or she could decide to place the juvenile in custody and refer the violation to juvenile court. Once this happens, a juvenile court intake officer or prosecutor takes over the case. At this point, the case is now in the prosecutors’ hands and that person may handle the mishap informally, dismiss the case, or petition the case.


If your child is faced with formal charges filed against him or her, then hiring a lawyer is highly recommended to obtain a result that will be a better outcome. Contact me, Charles Block, for a consultation today.